The school was originally an all-boys school built 1866 by the Church of England. Later it was passed to Somerset County Council as a Voluntary Controlled School.
The Dioceses of Bath and Wells continue to support the school by offering essential resources and training.
The School also has close links with The Church of St John the Baptist. The Reverend David MacGeoch often holds assemblies in the school and each year group holds a children lead church service.
The school follows a strong spiritual ethos of respect, support, thankfulness, honesty and compassion to all, regardless of faith or race. This helps to promote community cohesion within the school, town and the wider world.
Statutory Inspection of Anglican and Methodist Schools
All Church of England dioceses and the Methodist Church use the National Society’s framework for the Statutory Inspection of Anglican and Methodist Schools (SIAMS) under Section 48 of the Education Act 2005. The framework sets out the expectations for the conduct of the Statutory Inspection of Anglican, Methodist and ecumenical Schools under Section 48 of the Education Act 2005 and provides a process for evaluating the extent to which church schools are “distinctively and recognisably Christian institutions”.